Fundraising Guidance and Receipting Workshops for Charities in Toronto - July 5, 2010 at CNIB
Published under: Canadian Charity Law
I will be leading two new workshops for the Charity Law Information Program (CLIP) on two hot legal issues - Fundraising Compliance and Appropriate Receipting. One can attend them both, plus a networking lunch, for $50, or each workshop is $25. Many thanks to Canada Revenue Agency for supporting this initiative as part of its Charities Partnership and Outreach Program (CPOP). The workshop takes place July 5, 2010 in Toronto. The brochure is here http://tinyurl.com/2aeaddm (for information on a similar workshop in Ottawa see http://capacitybuilders.ca/files/resources/July_8_Brochure_-_Mark_-_United_Way_Ottawa_1277220137.pdf )
Information on this workshop is located at: http://capacitybuilders.ca/files/resources/July_5_Brochure_-_Mark_-_CNIB_1277215582.pdf
The text is reproduced below:
Join us on July 5 for two new Fundraising Guidance and Receipting Workshops in Toronto!
1929 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, ON M4G 3E8
Understanding CRA’s Fundraising Guidance and More (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) - $25
In June 2009, Canada Revenue Agency released new guidelines regarding fundraising. Charity lawyer Mark Blumberg will review the Fundraising Guidance as well as explore key compliance and standards issues. By the end of this workshop you will learn:
* CRA’s rules on appropriate allocation of fundraising expenses and new transparency, accountability and disclosure requirements that have been introduced for Canadian charities;
* about fundraising ratios and how they may affect your choice of fundraising methods;
* the consequences of inappropriate fundraising including director and officer liability;
* the 10 top legal compliance issues registered charities need to understand.
The Dos and Don’ts of Charitable Receipting (1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) - $25
Did you know that 89% of registered charities were found to be improperly issuing official donation receipts when audited by CRA? Join Mark Blumberg as he discusses charitable receipting and how to make sure that
your charitable status is not jeopardized. Following the session, you will be able to answer these questions and many more:
* when is your charity allowed to issue official donation receipts and for how much?
* what is split receipting and how does it affect your galas, golf tournaments and other fundraisers?
* what are the top receipting mistakes and abuses and how do you avoid them?
Who should attend these workshops?
* CEOs, directors, staff, and volunteers of Canadian registered charities that are involved with either fundraising, issuing tax receipts or governance
How to register:
Capacity Builders is a charitable organization that provides a wide-range of training and development resources for not-for-profit and charitable organizations. The Charity Law Information Program (CLIP) is a project of Capacity Builders, funded by the Canada Revenue Agency. You can learn more about the CLIP project, and all our other products and services, at http://www.capacitybuilders.ca/clip.
About the trainer: Mark Blumberg is a partner of the law firm Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works primarily in the areas of non-profit and charity law. He is the editor of http://www.canadiancharitylaw.ca – a Canadian charity law website and http://www.globalphilanthropy.ca – a Canadian website dedicated to legal and ethical issues for Canadian charities operating abroad.