CanadianCharityLaw.ca is project of the law firm Blumberg Segal LLP (Blumbergs), which is based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Blumbergs provides legal services and advice to non-profits and charities that are operating in Canada including on the following:
- Incorporation and obtaining registered charitable status in Canada
- Maintaining charitable status and dealing with the Charities Directorate of the Canada Revenue Agency (“CRA”) and their requirements
- Facilitating foreign charitable activities undertaken or supported by Canadian charities
- Assisting and creating charitable partnerships, agency relationships, joint ventures, affiliations and mergers
- Staffing issues within charities involving employees and independent contractors
- Developing and revising agreements with donors and funders
- Providing advice on legal and ethical issues associated with fundraising, governance and operational issues
- Improving Governance including policies, procedures, and by-laws
- Advising on fundraising contracts, major gifts agreements and planned giving
- Intellectual property – copyright, trade marks and their protection
- Conducting informal legal audits and advising on risk management
- Assisting clients with CRA “books and records reviews” and audits
The average Canadian charity has revenue of under $100,000 per year. Our firm believes that irrespective of size and budget, legal compliance and ethical conduct on the part of charities is important to maintaining the public’s trusts in the charitable sector. Public trust is vital on many levels for charities including making it easier for charities to fundraise, having the government provide more grants and contributions to the sector, and giving charities more credibility in dealing with the many challenges of trying to make this world a better place. Canadian Charity Law was our firm’s response and it provides accessible, plain language and free legal, ethical and practical information to a large number of Canadian individuals and charities to assist them to understand their charity’s obligations. Increasingly charities are not just small local volunteer endeavours but are larger organizations that are national and international in scope, and have professional staff and obligations to a myriad number of stakeholders.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality advice that is practical and affordable and that integrates ethical issues with the legal advice. All too often in the charity area if there is a binding legal rule on a particular point, and often there is not, it is often a rule that was developed 50-100 years ago and clearly the legal answer is not enough by itself. In fact, solely relying on legal opinions may result in a charity acting in a highly unethical manner. We work with clients - everyone from very small to very large charities, to help them understand both their legal and ethical responsibilities and to raise the level and standards of practice. Donors, the media, and the public have expectations of charities that not based solely on the charity meeting their minimum legal requirements.
The information on this website is provided free and subject to our Disclaimer, Copyright and Privacy Notice The information on this website will be useful to many, but particularly smaller charities that cannot reasonably afford to retain legal advisors. Thank you to many of our charity clients who have encouraged our work and have indirectly subsidized our ability to provide this information.
Blumberg Segal LLP is a small six lawyer firm based in downtown Toronto. It was originally set up by Henry Blumberg in 1984 and Henry is the managing partner of Blumberg Segal LLP.