The Charities Directorate is now open but since June 2019 the Charities Directorate of CRA has had an online system, Digital Services for Charities through the MyBA portal, and for many charities, it may make sense to get on that system as it can be used for a number of different purposes.

The Digital Services for Charities system can be accessed through your personal MY CRA account. If you don’t have a MY CRA account then:

  1. You will need to obtain a personal CRA user ID and password. You apply online and it will be sent by mail – it will have your CRA security code.  If you already have this personal CRA account (that you use for your personal income tax returns) you can skip to the next step.
  2. Then go to the My Business Account page  and do Option 2 CRA register – it will ask for your SIN and other information
  3. You can then login  to access the My BA account of the organization

Here is further information from CRA if helpful on CHAMP and MyBA.

Also here is a Webinar on Accessing Digital Services for Charities recorded on April 14, 2020 by Maddy Sawyer and Mark Blumberg with questions being answered by a number of CRA personnel.

Even though you can now call the CRA there are many tasks that can be performed though the Digital Services for Charities.  For example, you can file your T3010 or put in a charity application or advise CRA of numerous changes or authorize a representative.

We are regularly assisting clients with the Digital Services for Charities system and other interactions with CRA.