The CRA has released an updated T2050 – Application to Register a Charity Under the Income Tax Act and it is located at

In this article I discuss the differences between the old and new application and guide.

One thing that is a little disappointing is that the T2050 is not a fillable form.  Perhaps CRA will put out a fillable form at some point to make it easier for some to complete the form and do so in typing.  I think it is to their advantage to be able to read the T2050 easily. 

Mark Blumberg is a lawyer at Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto, Ontario.  He can be contacted at or at 416-361-1982 x. 237. To find out more about legal services that Blumbergs provides to Canadian charities and non-profits please visit the Blumbergs’ Non-Profit and Charities page at or