Every Canadian registered charity has to file a T3010 information return each year. The return must be filed no later than six months after the end of the charity’s fiscal period.

For example, if your charity’s fiscal period end is March 31st, its annual information return is due by September 30th.  With the introduction of the new T3010B, Canadian registered charities with fiscal years ending in 2008 continue filing the T3010A while charities with a fiscal year end falling after January 1, 2009 will file the new T3010B.  Hope this attached chart is helpful.

Mark Blumberg is a lawyer at Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto, Ontario.  He can be contacted at mark@blumbergs.ca or at 416-361-1982 x. 237. To find out more about legal services that Blumbergs provides to Canadian charities and non-profits please visit www.canadiancharitylaw.ca or www.globalphilanthropy.ca

This article or note is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice. You should not act or abstain from acting based upon such information without first consulting a legal professional.