Blumbergs' will be hosting a half-day program on Tuesday September 18 2018 covering all of the fundamentals of receipting. Properly issuing official donation receipts has been challenging for many registered charities. According to the CRA, 89% of registered charities that are audited by CRA are not correctly issuing official donation receipts. Issuing incorrect receipts can result in revocation or penalties. It is easier to do it right than fix problems later! Find out more here.
Topics covered in this course include:
• When are charities allowed to issue official donation receipts? (“tax receipts”)
• Why are receipts so important?
• What are the top Canadian registered charity receipting mistakes
• Review of information required on an official charitable tax receipt
• CRA’s sample official donation receipts
• What is a gift?
• Is the donation a gift?
• Is there an obligation to issue receipts?
• Who is the donor?
• What is split receipting and how does it affect galas, golf and other fundraisers?
• How do you correct or replace official donation receipts?
• Can you issue a receipt for a gift certificate?
• Can you return a gift?
• Are funds given by a business considered a gift or a sponsorship?
• Can you provide receipts for donors to third party fundraising events?
• Use of computer generated and e-mail receipts
• Is it appropriate to receipt for expenses of volunteers who travel abroad?
• Problems, abuses and consequences of improper receipts
• What is a gift in kind?
• What is fair market value of a gift and how to determine fair market value?
• What is “deemed” fair market value and how will it change the amount of the eligible amount of the gift?
• Receipting of gift in kind donations and special issues with gifts in kind
• How do you appraise gifts in kind?
• Can you receipt for donors of items to an auction?
• Can you receipt a successful bidder at an auction?
• What are some best practices for gifts in kind donations?
Cost: $225.00 (includes snacks and coffee, materials, and registration fees). There is an early bird discount if you enter the following promo code upon purchase: EBR2018.
The program will be led by charity lawyer Mark Blumberg.